Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Prayer and Fasting - the real dynamic duo!

Jesus gave His disciples the dynamic formula that helps bring change, it's prayer that is enriched by fasting.

So Jesus said to them... if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."
Matthew 17:20-21 (NKJV) 

There have been times that we have made earnest prayers to God for some specific need, with the assurance that this was in the will of God, and yet there has been no answer from heaven.  And we ask, "why?" 

I don't assume to know the total answer to that question but I do know that when Jesus' disciples asked why they couldn't bring deliverance to a troubled young man, Jesus said it requires fasting with our prayer. This is one of those areas where scripture states facts, but does not explain them. 

Prayer is simple yet complex, it is talking to our Father but it is also warfare, wrestling with opposing forces. There is the constant element of continuing in prayer until we see the answer.

Andrew Murray says, "Fasting helps to express, to deepen, and to confirm the resolution that we are ready to sacrifice anything, to sacrifice ourselves to attain what we seek for the kingdom of God."

Here are some lessons I have learned about prayer and fasting:
  • I seem to pray at a deeper spiritual level when I add fasting to my prayer.
  • I free up more time to pray when I don't eat.
  • I am reminded to pray every time I feel hunger pangs.
  • There is breakthrough when I participate in corporate church prayer.
JOIN ME TONIGHT AT TFH FOR CORPORATE PRAYER - 6:30-7:30PM!

No comments:

Post a Comment